3.05.2011

@what she said

Week one of the nablopomo challenge done. In a word: ohmygracious. There's still a heckuva lot of the month to go, too. That being said, I would like to take this opportunity to stall until I think of a legitimate topic reflect and respond to a comment from a recent post.

Is this heaven?
Angie wondered: "Please tell me your washing machine works. I'm trying to picture you with a washboard ala Laura Ingalls Wilder, but it's not working."

Fear not, Angie, I haven't had to head down to the creek to wash my finest muslin. In fact, there was one day when I had three washing machines in my house. One was the one that came with the house; I thought it was broken, and went out and bought a new energy efficient set, but of course it was working again when the new set was delivered. For those of you keeping count at home, that's two washing machines. However, for the better part of 18 months, there was another practically brand new set that was just chillin' in my basement. That third one came into the picture when one of my colleagues moved here from San Francisco and realized the practically brand new washer and dryer he and his partner shipped here weren't going to work in their new place. At this point, I only had the old washer and dryer, and they offered me the practically new set for a song. It was an offer I couldn't resist and I thought they would work in my place, but it would have required me to divert my gas line and sadly that would cost me multiple songs. So, instead I bought a brand new and electric version of the practically new set, because that's how I roll.

The good news is, I am down to only one washing machine in the house, as I was able to find a friend who could use the gas dryer and offered her the practically new set for the same song. Now, if I could only do that for microwaves and old TVs, as I just remembered I have two of each of those in my transitional housing for retired appliances basement.

No comments: