2.21.2011

Is this heaven?

Yes. This is a NEW POST. Yes, a BRAND NEW POST. A BRAND NEW POST from LMNT. And, no, it's not going to be a post about not posting (for three months, yes, I know, I think the half-dozen of you who are still willing to read my ramblings have not let me forget that. So, ta-dah! This one's for you).

Remember when I remodeled my kitchen? Remember how I bought new appliances? Remember how one of those appliances was a dishwasher? A nice, new, shiny, stainless steel $600+ dishwasher. Yes? Well, the first time I ran the dishwasher, I noticed a puddle of standing water under my sink. Now I ask you, what would any normal homeowner do upon finding a puddle of water under their sink? Call a plumber and have it fixed immediately? Is that your final answer? Ha. Hello, I'm LMNT. I know I haven't posted in three months, but you do know me, right?

Oh, I did call a plumber to have it replaced, it just took me two-and-a-half years to make that happen. But don't think that the dishwasher just sat around not being used for those two-and-a-half years. I put it to great use as the world's nicest, newest, shiniest, stainless steeliest (and spendiest) drying rack. That's right, for the past two-and-a-half-years I've been washing my dishes--and by washing my dishes I mean using my dishes and then leaving them in my sink because I HATE DOING DISHES and then finally washing them when the pile becomes unbearable--by hand and drying them in the dishwasher. That's part laziness, part tolerance, and part aversion to technology. I mean, it's been seven years since I've had a dishwasher.

We could go down the road analyzing why I didn't call the plumber, but we're not going to, because today I called a plumber, and he came to my house to fix the leak, TODAY! Note to self: if you call them, they will come. In fairness to me, I've actually called a couple of plumbers, none of whom worked out. But today, John C. Reilly the plumber showed up (short diversion: the Commish and Monster have used the plumbing company I called for work they've had done before and they've talked about John C. Reilly's doppelganger the plumber. When I opened the door today, there he was... I half expected Will Ferrell to pop out from behind the shrubs).

So, John C. Reilly the plumber diagnosed my dishwasher dilemma and a little bathroom faucet drip and it turns out he's going to come back tomorrow to do all of the work. Which means tonight I'm using every single dishwasher safe dish I own because tomorrow I'll have the complete deal: nice, new, shiny, stainless steel, $600+ washer and drying rack all-in-one.

3 comments:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

I am absolutely speechless. First, a new post. Second, you lazy son-of-a-gun. For 2 1/2 years you didn't call a plumber? Okay, NOT lazy. I can't get over the fact that you've been hand washing all this time. I would've had a stack of paper plates a mile high in my pantry, just waiting to be used. You are insane.

And awesome.

But mostly insane. Please tell me your washing machine works. I'm trying to picture you with a washboard ala Laura Ingalls Wilder, but it's not working.

CrissPiss said...

Can it be true?? The last time your dad and I were out I remember your dad trying to fix it for you but being the Type A personality you are it didn't fly. You don't work well with others in this department.
We still laugh about it. The fact that it was a drying rack and had been for that long wasn't a surprise. You get that from your dad.
Still love ya!!

pit girl said...

Somebody should tell Angie that not only were you hand washing, you refused to let anyone else wash a single dish even when they created piles of dirty dishes every Sunday. (I have a permanent mark on my hand from being bull-whipped away from the sink.)

CrissPiss already knows the reason for this!