3.30.2011

Wants and needs

In this week's edition of On this Date in 2008, I was thinking about what the future held and making big bold statements.

I do still dream about moving to Ireland from time to time; and who knows? It may happen. But even if I haven't put all my energy toward my dream of being a grown-up exchange student, I have spent the past year getting clear on the things I want in life. More chocolate and drop-top upgrades are definitely on the list. I've also been giving a lot of thought to what the next step looks like at work. Things are really good, but I'm going on my fourth year in the role and I'm ready for some new challenges. Interestingly enough, I have an interview tomorrow morning for a new role at work. It might not necessarily lead me to Ireland, but it will likely lead me to new experiences, challenges, and adventures.

On one of my recent runs, I was doing some thinking, as I'm wont to do, and for some reason I was thinking about how I often get what I want. But then the more I thought about it (because it was a really long run, so I had plenty of time to have more thoughts about it), it's not that I get what I want--because sometimes I don't--but I always always get what I need. Even if I don't ask for it, or even if at the time I don't want it, there's reason for it. I think I both want this new opportunity, and as I head into the interview I'm going to stay curious about finding out if it is what I need. And whether I want or need Ireland still remains to be seen.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Cue the Rolling Stones!

pit girl said...

You'll go. I think it's a need. You belong there... you and I both saw that about 10 years ago.

Anonymous said...

interesting!

CrissPiss said...

Can I come with?