9.20.2008

Things you never think

Greetings from my parents house in Colorful Colorado. I flew out for a quick weekend trip; my mom, brother, sister-in-law, and I threw a surprise birthday party for my dad last night. Preparing for that, and play rehearsals, and craziness at work, and just life in general has taken up the time I usually spend writing. My brain is overflowing with notes.

Whenever I have a lapse in posting, I find myself scribbling down one or two words on scraps of paper, to remind myself at a later time of the posts I have brewing in my head. Sometimes, I even create draft posts with bullets of what I want to cover. But then I don't get to them and it almost feels as if the moment has passed and those little posts will never get to realize their blog potential. Oh, sad for those posts.

But just like the pack-rattiness I have inherited from my father (although, I have it to a much less degree), I keep those posts in my folder, thinking, "Someday, someday that story is going to come in useful."

Take for instance, the post I started two months ago after a trip to the supermarket. I was in the "ethnic foods" aisle when the musack that was piped in began playing the Scorpions, "Wind of Change." Yes. The 1980s heavy metal band's rock ballad.

So there I was, looking for soy sauce, when I was immediately transported back to my junior high school bus. The bus driver was a rocker, as were a good number of the other kids. And then there was me. I liked Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. And at that time, I know I definitely loved Roxette. But I tolerated the metal--I was trying to play it cool, even though the braces, glasses, and spiral perm with mile-high bangs kinda made me not so. And on all of those rides home, rocking out to Metallica and Damn Yankees, there were a few things I never thought. One, I never thought those songs were getting ingrained in my memories. Two, I never thought there would come a day when I'd actually use those songs to get me "pumped" to run long distances (cue Whitesnake). And three, I never ever thought I'd be whistling along with the Scorpions in a Safeway in Seattle.

Of course, I never thought I was going to be in my thirties either. And come to think of it, I never thought I was going to make use of that post, but would you look at me. I did. Note to self: Sometimes the things you never think of, will become the things you do. That's not to say that story was particularly useful--or even that note for that matter, although that's some pretty deep stuff, Internets. But I did help release that post to the world and now it's reaching it's blog potential. And I can sleep peacefully now. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Roxette, too! I'm probably younger than you, though. Feel free to take a look at my website
http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/roxetteremakes

:D

pit girl said...

dang it kit, you just put a song in my head.... "Turn around.... every now and then I get a little bit lonely for the sound of your tears... Turn around, blah blah blah, Turn around Bright Eyes! Turn ArOUND BRI-IGHT EYES! Every now and then I fall AP-ART! AND I NEED YOU NOW TONIGHT! AND I NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER IF YOU'LL ONLY HOLD ME TIGHT WE'LL BE HOLDING ON FOREVER AND WE'LL ALWAYS BE MAKING IT RIGHT FOREVER WE CAN TAKE IT TO THE END OF THE LINE TURNING ON POWDER KEGS AND GIVING OFF SPARKS! I REALLY NEED YA TONIGHT! FOREVERS GONNA START TONIGHT Forever's gonna start to-night...." OH what a relief to get tht out of my system. agony. I'm with you Kit - just how did that song/those lyrics become imbedded cerebrally? elevator music? an abusive sibling? the fact that my hometown had access to only one radio station? Or more likely, it's on your top ten karaoke songs to sing! :) xxoo

see you tomorrow night birthday girl!