7.30.2008

Play by play

Shaking has stopped. Which is good. However, I'm halfway through the callbacks, still have to sing. All by myself. But not "All by Myself," that Eric Carmen/Celine classic comes later tonight with a late night Improv Karaoke Extravaganza (late on a school night, I know).

--

I started this post in the midst of call backs. There was a lot of waiting around tonight. First we were called in by parts with the other people auditioning for those parts to learn the songs with the voice coach (watching the DVD over and over and over again really helped). Then we had to read a selection of lines (or in my case, mime out myself getting my eyes poked out by overzealous seagulls). Then we were supposed to go back in and sing in front of everyone. Thankfully, after three hours of sitting, around, they decided not to have some of the less prominent roles sing and I got to leave.

Phew. I did it. I tried out for a play. Now it's all out of my control. And here's what I think about that, there were three of us trying out for two step-sister roles. One of the other girls was also trying out for another principal role, so if she gets that, I'm guessing I'm in. But if she doesn't I'm not sure who they'll pick. The other two girls are around the same height and may look more like sisters. But it may also be funny to have short and tall (and we're talking extremes here) sisters. At any rate, if I get selected, GREAT. But if not, also GREAT because then I won't have to make the two tough decisions that are looming out there and that I really don't want to make.

And another thing. Wow. I've never felt so much like an outsider. When I said where I work is kind of like a giant high school, I really wasn't lying. I mean when I walked into the callbacks tonight, it was quite apparent that I was not a part of this crowd. This was a hardcore theatre clique and I was the new girl trying to get people to like me. I'm sure, once you're in it's very welcoming, but when you're out, man you are out. I was sitting there thinking, hello, I was president of my sorority and captain of the volleyball team, but somehow I don't think that would have endeared me to the group. A couple of them invited me to sit with their big table, and I did, but it was awkward. Partially because who is this new girl? And partially because I am painfully shy until I'm comfortable around you--which takes a little while.

Oh, and one last thing. Note to self: When you are trying to ingratiate yourself with the clique, it is best not to insult one of the founding members. Yeah, I may have done that. Unintentionally. And I immediately tried to open my mouth and insert my foot, but I have a jaw issue and can't open my mouth very wide. Seriously. It's a problem.

To close out the night, I joined some of my improv friends for a night of karaoke. It was a great way to release the energy and I didn't sing "All by Myself," but I did sing all by myself and with my familiar clique. It felt good to be "in" again.

1 comment:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

I'm so proud of you (no matter what happens)! Can't wait to hear the results...