7.13.2008

A demon resurfaces

I'm just going to let you know up front, this post, it's not going to be pretty. It's something I've been holding onto for a long long time. It's NOT PRETTY, which makes me sad, and also completely and totally vulnerable.

I was driving home last night after meeting a friend for a quick round of evening golf followed by dinner and beers. It was, by many accounts, a perfect Seattle summer night. I was driving through the city with the windows down, a nice breeze drifting through my car. I pulled up to a stop light next to a car full of drunk 20-somethings who also had their window down. An obnoxious blond in the back pointed my direction and yelled up to the driver, "Pretty girl, pretty girl!" I can only assume she was on the lookout for finding someone for the driver, the sole guy in the car. All four passengers snapped their heads in my direction, when the same obnoxious girl backtracked saying, "Oh, wait. She's NOT PRETTY."

She was drunk, and, let's face it, a bitch. And it upsets me to great lengths that I even consider the next thought, but I think she's right.

Before you go all frantic to knock some sense into me, know that this is not a thinly veiled post, begging you fill the comment section up with messages about how stupid she is, and that I'm beautiful, blah, blah, blah. I mean that's nice of you to think that and/or even tell me, but I'm not fishing for that here. I've spent the past 18 years of my life believing I was NOT PRETTY, any comment, although appreciated is not going to "cure" me. If I'm ever going to believe it, it's going to come from deep within me (where I really hope it lives). This is something that I think about a lot, my own private monster eating me up on the inside daily. There's something about opening it up and sharing it out loud that makes me hope I can start to conquer it. And there's also something about opening it up and sharing it out loud that makes me feel completely exposed with a fragile childlike vulnerability.

Seventh grade. Two words that immediately conjure up images of awkwardness. Oh, and I fit the bill too--braces, glasses, gangly limbs, a spiral perm... uh-huh, a spiral perm with bangs! But I was in good company, as 99% of the population was equally awkward in their own way. It's quite likely that you are a part of that 99% too. But what about that other one percent? Somehow they lucked out in the adolescent lottery and never went through that awkward stage, moving straight from elementary school cute into outwardly flawless young adult--perfect skin, perfect hair, damn them.

In my school, the prototypical one percenter was named Feather. Yes, Feather. That's not to say she was perfect, she had her own monsters and insecurities, I'm sure, but as far as being pretty, solely based on appearance and completely divorced from the idea of holistic beauty, she was it.

There I was, not Feather, at school, walking down the hall with a group of girlfriends who were also not Feather, when we were stopped by an eighth grade boy. Were I to judge a book by its cover, I'd say this guy was a fellow memeber of the illustrious 99% club, except he had what I consider the awkward trifecta. On top of the baseline level of awkward, he had red hair and freckles--no good can come of that when you are a pubescent boy, it's a recipe for obnoxious.

So, Mr. Obnoxious, someone that none of us knew or had ever interacted with before, stops us. Pointing his pudgy freckly hand in my direction, he asked me, "Are you a model?" Flattered that he would think that (spiral perm with bangs, people!), I blushed and responded with a puzzled, "No." And without skipping a beat he exclaimed, "THANK GOD!"

Stunned, I exclaimed something I won't write here (in case you're reading, Grandma), and pretended to brush it off like it had no impact. But nearly 20 years later, I still feel the impact. Every day. There is no doubt in my mind that guy has no recollection of that incident, or if he does, he has no clue the reverberations it had on that little seventh grade girl's identity. Sometimes I wonder if I hadn't been walking down that hall, that day, at that moment and had not encountered that guy, would I have grown up believing myself to be pretty?

I believe myself to be a lot of things, athletic, intelligent, hard-working, funny, sincere, honest, loyal, talented, and now maker of kitchens, but pretty has never graced that list. Ever. I know this logic is completely flawed, but the reason I think I'm single is because I'm ugly. Because pretty girls are in relationships. And trust me, in my head I know that line of thought is completely ridiculous, but I just wish I could get my heart to believe it.

In fact, why I really think I'm single and not attracting people, is the fact that I can't see that I'm beautiful. Because if I don't believe it deep down inside and exude that confidence, how can anyone else appreciate it? Part of the problem is I'm looking for some sort of external validation that I am pretty, or at least not repulsive. Pretty enough that I don't have absolute strangers telling me to my face that I'm NOT PRETTY.

Wow. I just shined a giant tractor beam on my innermost gremlin. There you have it, Internets. I haven't ever opened myself up like this to anyone, lucky you. Gaping hole for all to see. It's now the elephant in my blog that I can't ignore. Wiping my tears away, I'm resolving to dive deep, tame that monster and love myself. Bear with me, there is a lot of ugly that I have to wade through and undo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanna hug? ;-) Wanna play some golf on Monday?

Anonymous said...

OK anything I might say won't mean anything because I am your mom soooo.
Pretty, hmmmm flowers are pretty, colors are pretty, little kids are pretty. Women are beautiful, attractive, striking, handsome (yes handsome), I can go on with adult adj.
Think big.

little ms. notetaker said...

Thanks, mama! Here's to thinking big.

Monica Nixon said...

cheers to wise moms and beautiful women (including you).

mike helminger said...

i have a story i'll tell you when we next meet. either we can both wallow in self pity, or somehow rise up and crush the ugly world...

Anonymous said...

wow my friend. i don't know what to say but i'm trying to stop the tears as i write this.

hmmmm....i may be forced to give you a hug at work tomorrow :)

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

So, I saved commenting on this post for last, because I've been thinking about it ever since I read it.

You know, I've spent so much time with high school girls (and guys) over the last 9 years to know that some of them are just plain MEAN. If there's anything I'm glad for, I'm glad that we WEREN'T mean. We really weren't. And I'm glad that (for the most part) we were happy being who we were and didn't buy into what others thought. No, you and I weren't Feather. Thank God.

I'm so sorry that red-headed kid did such damage. Was I there?

There's more to life than being PRETTY, and you've found that out. Pretty girls are often boring. You're not. Pretty girls aren't always smart. You are. Pretty girls aren't always real athletic. You are. Pretty girls aren't funny... they don't get the jokes. You're way funny. You're lucky because you're all those things AND pretty.

You weren't asking for compliments, but Kath, I think you ARE beautiful and pretty. Inside and out. Someone is going to come along and see it and show it to you and you'll believe it. I just know it, and I pray for it often.

I love you!

pit girl said...

oh hell. We all go through this - you're right, believing you are pretty has to come from within. It's definitely not to be decided by some snotty one dimensional bitch, or idiot grade school kid. Why do they have all that power over you? Take it back.

I'm here to tell you: Kit, you are WAY off. I mean it. And here's one reason why: I measure my own "prettiness" based on how I think I measure up to you. You are my "high bar". I have no delusions that I can keep up with you, but I do look to you for inspiration. I could look to Elle McPherson for inspiration too, but that would be so completely unattainable, unrelatable - the Elle McPhersons of the world are freaks of nature who think anorexia, botox, and their genetically deficient, mutant bone structures are all gifts from God. You should take that as a compliment - it means you are a real girl, an extremely amazing fantastic real girl. A pretty one. HOT actually. Real girls are three dimensional while the Elle McPherson's are flatly one dimensional. Real girls are much more interesting and become prettier and prettier as you get to know them. This is because they are a package deal; being three dimensional means there are many many attributes that contribute to the prettiness of a real girl. The more attributes a real girl has, the prettier she becomes - there is no maximum capacity on how pretty she is. And I'm here to tell you Kit, you are WAY more three dimensional than ANYONE I know! A flatly one dimensional girl might be good for a poster on the wall in a teenage boys room, but becomes quickly boring (and has a maximum capacity which requires plastic surgery, pounds of makeup, airbrushing, and special lighting to look pretty). Turn your thinking upside down; stop thinking one dimensional is pretty because it really isn't and it has high potential for fade-out. Start thinking that being pretty is about being three dimensional - the more there is to who you are, the prettier you become. And there's no fade-out factor; just the opposite. Personally, I think what trips you up (what trips me up) is the painfully shy factor. This is when I feel the ugliest. After that part is over and I feel like I know somebody, my prettiness comes out. I think it's the same with you, only you have so much three dimensionality, that your prettiness comes roaring out like a freight train! Very cool. The problem is that we're constantly meeting new people and therefore the painfully shy bit trips us up. (This is because we're three dimensional. One dimensional girls don't trip because they are flat, paper thin, nothing there to trip.)

You get it and deep down, you believe me and know it's the right way to go. Bottom line: YOU get to decide just how pretty you are. And every day, you can decide you are a little bit prettier than yesterday. If you believe it, everyone else will see just how pretty you are too. It's like a mind-magic trick (we can do magic because we're three dimensional. the one dimensionals aren't so lucky - no magic).

And besides, if you're ugly, that means I should head straight to the tattoo parlor for a complete facial.