3.23.2008

Life imitating refrigerators... again

As I get all of my kitchen remodeling ducks in a row, I found myself spending today embroiled in the "Great Fridge Swap '08" (this is what happens when you are single and your family lives a thousand miles away on Easter).

As I transferred all of my food from the old fridge to the brand spanking new one, with stainless steel handles, sigh, it got me thinking about how my fridge continues to imitate my life. I do have to admit I was more than a little proud of myself that there were ZERO marinara jars to transfer. It's been 10 months, and I think that time has finally cured me of my not-so-healthy-or-productive habit of collecting them.
However, I was smacked in the face with humility when I opened up my freezer and found seven pints of Ben and Jerry's ice creams. Turns out my habit of clearing myself of clutter isn't exclusive to pasta sauces. And if the marinara was symbolic of my ex, then the ice cream (interestingly, most of them bought for my ex while we were together) is symbolic of the personal emotional clutter I have in my life that I've been neglecting. I've shoved them to the back of the freezer and when one gets covered in frost, a new flavor comes along and tempts me, but then it too will find it's way to the back of the freezer, "Mint Oreo, meet Half-Baked, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, and S'mores. Charmed, I'm sure."
Were I to whip out my mad English major skillz on this one, I could completely analyze how I'm getting my life together with my new fridge, a fridge I picked out for myself, a fridge that is shiny and new and "professional." Oh yes, I could go down that road, and how when I cleaned out the old fridge today and better yet when I unplugged it, I was starting a new chapter in my life or something. But I'll spare you that.
Suffice it to say, I cleared out some clutter and took good steps toward the kitchen remodel and banished the freezer burn that has been building in my mind.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: Um, does anyone know why when you insert pictures in blogger, formatting goes haywire? I've tried to space out the paragraphs above four times. Ugh. Sorry for the ginormous paragraph that really four... and also sorry if you subscribe and you received multiple updates with the same info.

1 comment:

mike helminger said...

it's easiest to insert your photos and view where they sit when you're in html mode. it still sucks and the formatting of blogger is severely lacking, but it gets the job done - sort of