3.18.2008

Oh no, he didn't!

When I moved out to the pacific northwest, almost everything was new to me. Picking up and moving to a new place, with new people, new routes to work, new grocery stores, new everything can be somewhat daunting. I found myself desperately looking for something or someone familiar. For me that something or someone was Tom Shane.

Yes. Tom Shane from the Shane Company located on Peoria Street, one half a mile east of I-25. Open every day, Monday through Friday till 8, Saturday and Sunday till 5. Only, Tom Shane is different out here, there is no I-25 or Peoria Street (or if there is one, he's not located on it). It wasn't until I moved that I learned that it's not just a Colorado thing, in fact any reader from around the country can probably recite their own version of the Shane Company commercials by heart--when you hear it enough it involuntarily gets committed to memory, I bet you can even do it with the announcer's same tone and inflection too. It's a reflex.

It's been a long time since I've listened to commercial radio, so maybe everyone else has already heard this one, but it was new to me tonight and it had me flabbergasted. As I drove home today, I actually heard Tom Shane say that shopping at the Shane Company is "totally chill" and that nobody will be "all up in your grill." Wha?

Suddenly something that was fondly familiar became hysterically odd. Oh, Tom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice reference, girl. Sounds similar to folks' familiarity with Empire Carpet (do you know the phone number jingle? "588-____, Empire" :-)

One Love Photo said...

Love this and I am giggling as I type! I had to read it out loud to Jon. I can't believe Tom is trying to be hip. There are some local news folks who are trying the hip route and freaking me out as well. It just doesn't work.

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Kath, I've been laughing about this since I read it. SO FUNNY! I read it late one night and couldn't get to sleep because I just was overwhelmed thinking about Tom being outside of Colorado. Who knew?!

Did you ever see his TV commercials? They were hilarious. The jingle: "He's dull... but he's brilliant! Shane!" I was rolling when I first heard it!