4.30.2008

Hitting me with my best shot

Note to self: Just because you are in possession of a sledgehammer, it does not give you free reign to go swinging it around demolishing stuff.

I got my first battle wound tonight.

And I know that I have this whole other blog to talk kitchen renovation, but tonight's note was a very important one. Be ye not so ignorant to do as I did.

The Man of Iron and I did most of the demolition over the weekend, however the more that was uncovered, the more it became crystal clear that I needed to take one of the walls completely down to the studs. When I got home from work today (after taking a little cat nap, and drooling over my boy, Stanley--reading up on how to install and finish drywall), I got to cracking on round two of demolition.

I started out trying to remove the wooden slats with my little hammer and crowbar, but it just wasn't cutting it for me. So I went downstairs to get my sledgehammer (don't picture something ginormous, a la Peter Gabriel, but rather a medium sized one, hefty enough to do the job... and maybe a little bit of damage).

With the sledgehammer in hand I thought, who needs the crowbar, I'm just going to take this puppy directly to the slats. After I realized how hard I had to swing the hammer to actually do anything I started to think, this could be a great way to get out some pent up aggression. And that's when it hit me. Not a revelation or anything, but a piece of wood; it literally flew off the wall and hit me in the face. [EDIT: After rereading this post, I realized the wood didn't literally fly off the wall, my house is special, but not that special. So it flew off the wall, and literally hit me in the face. I decided to leave it in, because the visual is a good early morning funny. Note to self: Reread your work more carefully before you post...]

I got it right across the cheekbone. It's a little swollen and a little scraped, and looks a lot like someone took their pent up aggression out on me--maybe it was the walls giving me my comeuppance.

Kitchen=1
Little Miss Notetaker=0

--

On another note... this is my 100th post. I am beside myself that I ever made it past the first week. And honestly, this is not what I intended my 100th post to be, but it's oh-so-fitting. because I didn't intend to have this episode of "domestic violence, " but the absurdity of life prevails. At any rate, my humble thanks for reading my little notes. I hope you are loving reading them as much as I am living and sharing them (okay, I'm not going to lie, I'm not loving living with the self-inflicted shiner I gave myself tonight, but it's so great to know that I have a little forum where I can tell that story, and where I think a couple people will read it and laugh along with me. Without the blog, I just would have had to laugh at myself alone in my wall-less kitchen). Thank you, Internet!

1 comment:

burtlo said...

I'm not laughing, I'm dialing couples counseling.

You and your house need to work this out.