4.21.2008

Cut on the diagonal, crusts on

Note to self: If you ever remodel your kitchen, don't forget to stock up on the food you can still eat whilst you are kitchen-less.

Demolition on my kitchen is this weekend. This means that I will officially be down to my bathroom pedestal sink and my bathtub for water sources. You could also count my two hoses outside, however it's been unseasonably winter-cold here as of late, so don't expect me to be doing my dishes out in the yard. But seriously, am I going to be doing them in my bathtub?

Reality sunk in tonight: as of Saturday, I'm going to be without functional kitchen for around a month (oh please please please say that's only how long it will take me to get this project completed). I knew that this meant no stove and no sink, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized the challenges I'm going to face.

I was dating the marinara jar while he went through his kitchen--purgatory--remodel and I remember all too well his diet consisting of cigarettes and greasy pizza. Lucky for me I don't smoke and am lactose intolerant, but where does that leave me? Tonight I fixated on what I will be able to eat and more importantly how I'll be able to eat it. When I went grocery shopping I bought bread, peanut butter, and honey for sandwiches, soy milk, and four different cereal options. Whereas the marinara jar had a hipster kitchen remodel diet, mine is of the kindergartner variety. However, unlike the marinara jar, who kept sucking on the cancer stick after the stress of the remodel was long gone, I will be hoping to kick my PB&J and cereal dinner habits faster than you can say, hmmm, I don't know, but faster than you can say something fast.

2 comments:

The Dater said...

this is the moment where i wish we still lived closer. then, i'd just make you eat at my house.

mike helminger said...

just use my backpacking stove. my dad and i got by for two months just with that on our bike trip. i found it more convenient and faster than any home-cooked meal anyway.