6.17.2008

Regret numero uno

Note to self: When taking family portraits, limit it to FAMILY. Legitimate family. Practically family never counts.

While I was packing up my bag in a back bedroom at my grandparents' house over the weekend, I heard my mom call my name from another room. Actually, what she said was, "Come here, I want you to see this," and it was said in a way that made me think I had done some thing wrong. Little did I know that, although innocent, I really had.

I found her in the living room with a framed picture in hand. Tilting the frame my way, she asked me to take a look at it and let her know what it was. Simple. It was a picture from my cousin's wedding last year in May. As with all of the family weddings, we always take a family picture, and as we are a large family there were around 40 people crammed into this one.

Then she asked me where I was, I had to look really hard to find myself as I was stuck behind one of my uncles, at an angle where you could only see half of my face peering around his head. And just as I was beginning to question why she had dragged me out here to ask me these obvious questions, she asked, and who is that next to you?

Gasp.

Marinara jar.

Not only is he in the family picture (which by the way, I had NOT suggested, but someone else in the family had coaxed him in, saying, well, you're practically family. Yeah, we broke up three weeks after this), but you can clearly see him. In fact he has space all around his head. And then there's me, looking like I'm struggling to be seen in the picture--hey guys, look I'm back here, farther left, up a little, yeah there, it's me, see, here I am--and I am family!

Needless to say, I won't be making that mistake again.

5 comments:

The Dater said...

Bonko, thanks for this tidbit of wisdom. I've made this same mistake a couple times in my life (and my family is teeny tiny). I think of the holiday photos (or photo filled coasters that my ex's sister made) that now have to be discarded.

Yours Truly, Johnny Blogger said...

Then there are members of family that you wish were not in family pictures, but there they are... there to haunt you.

Talk about deep.

Of course, you could always take a picture of your newly remodeled pantry with jars in them and either print and burn the picture, or do what I do. Hit the delete button.

By the way, when we take our next group picture, stand on the left. My computer icons have a Mac habit of cluttering up the right side.

Adjil said...

Just say "I think that was the guy who set up all the chairs, I wonder how he ended up in the picture!"

One Love Photo said...

I always think of that when I take family photos at weddings. I agree unless you have been dating for 5+ years, no family photos! We have all these cute family photos from my husband's family reunion in Hawaii. All have my brother in laws X right in the middle. All useless to us, since it was a nasty breakup. I say making it into your spouse's family photo should be a rite of passage. Saved for the dedicated and deserving.

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Ouch.

Yeah, I love seeing my sister's exes in my wedding pictures. Blech.