1.31.2008

Sad little bird

And I'm not talking about the heap of feathers in the yard...

I fancy myself a tough girl. I have a very high threshold for pain and I also have the genetic disorder shared with many athletes that if you get hurt, SUCK IT UP AND KEEP PLAYING.

So remember this? Um, yeah. I finally went to the doctor this week, because it still hurts and I was sick and tired of a certain friend constantly making fun of my jacked-up-crooked-talon-of-a-middle-finger. After chastising me for not coming in two months ago, the doctor directed me to go get x-rays. To lighten the mood, I asked realistically what options we would have if they showed that the finger was indeed fractured. She told me--without hesitation--that the worst-case scenario would be to re-break the finger and set it with pins. Holy geez!

Note to self: When your finger turns purple and swells up like a sausage, see a doctor immediately.

However, the day I did this to myself I did see a doctor. At the time, the doctor happened to be wearing a terrycloth unitard and a borrowed pink feather boa, he was also carrying around a platter of chargrilled brats, and may have been a few beers into a really long night, but nonetheless a doctor he was. He told me what everyone told me (and what I already knew from having broken digits in the past), ice it, splint it, elevate it. Beyond that, there's not much you can do.

I took my x-rays back to my real doctor on the way home from work today and was given potentially grim news. It's fractured and I have to go back in tomorrow morning to get it "casted." I didn't ask too many questions because frankly, ignorance is bliss. If I don't get myself all worked up for my finger to be rebroken, then it probably won't be as bad (FRICK ON A STICK! PLEASE DO NOT LET THEM RE-BREAK MY FINGER).

I'm hoping for the best and also letting you know if you don't hear from me it may be because the--bad people--doctors had to shatter my finger with a hammer and put it back togther again to get it back to normal and I can't type, or because I'm hiding under my bed refusing to come out and get my finger re-broken like a tough girl.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Glad you stopped by, sorry about your finger. Sure hope they don't have to rebreak it......yikes! Keep us posted!
So what did you think of Lost last night?

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Noooooooo! Kath, I'd be hiding under my bed too. That sounds horrifying. My mom broke her nose years ago and never had it fixed because they would have to re-break it. Seriouly - who signs up for that?

Also, I was just over at Cheryl's blog and saw you love LOST. ME TOO! We're addicted. I had to record it and haven't watched yet and it's driving me batty. I'm glad you got sucked in. It seems like a show you'd like.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I would be terrified and unable to sleep and WAY freaked out. But that's just me. You'll be just fine. Keep us posted!

little ms. notetaker said...

So my finger update is tomorrow's post...

As for LOST last night, man that show blows my mind. So many twists and turns! My friend was telling me about a site where you can see screen shots--and that you can see who was in the rocking chair, and it's not who you think it may be. Once I find where those screen shots are I'll send you the links!

Who are the other 3? What is going on? I sure hope this writer's strike ends because 8 episodes is NOT enough. :)