1.22.2008

Who needs the lining anyway

Apparently yesterday was supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. The fact that someone is paid to research that blows my mind--and makes me think that I want to do research. However, my research tells me that the most depressing day of MY year was last Tuesday. "Why?" you ask. Because that was the day I started the morning out forgetting to put deodorant on (man, I hate that!) and then when I was getting into my car to go to work, I split the lining in my wool pants (man, I hate that even more!). I don't know if there is much of anything else that can make me feel lousier about myself than the feeling of that giant rip across your backside and then all the subsequent little rips that come every time you make any movement. Wait for it, wait for it... not yet... okay there's a little more.... and a little more... and now. Now I'm completely ripped from seam to seam. Ahhhhh, thank you, lady. It was getting tight in there.

Note to self: Don't let the lining of your wool pants be what you use to measure your self-worth.

One of the reasons yesterday was supposed to be so depressing was because, and I quote, "by now, it's clear you're failing in your New Year's resolutions." Wow. It's clear? Failing? Aren't we only three weeks into the New Year? What the heck am I supposed to do with the other 49 weeks?

Needless to say, I thought I'd take a look at my goals and try to make myself feel better--and say screw you to my pants and to research.

1. Dorking out in improv classes--done and done. I am surely getting my dorky fix each week. In fact I think I may have set a new bar last week after class when I joined some of my classmates for drinks... at a bar... a dueling piano bar... a dueling piano bar that I suddenly made open mic dueling piano bar. It was like no karaoke I've ever known. And I was adored by--the handful of new friends I was there with--everyone in the place.

2. Remodeling the kitchen--okay, so I've made progress here and have a lot of things planned, but I've yet to make a commitment. Last weekend I went to buy a new door--a door that I want, a door that I have the money for, a door that will kick-off the projects associated with the kitchen. When it came time to buy the door, I just left with the quote. Little Ms. Notetaker is Little Ms. Commitmentphobe. But I'm getting closer.

3. Find balance--okay, so I haven't found it yet. But I don't think I'm throwing the towel in, I CANNOT be imbalanced for the next 49 weeks.

4. Touch my toes--this one's coming soon, and hopefully I can do it without ripping my pants.

Okay, so not perfect, yet. But I'm not going to get depressed about it. And any time I start to get depressed, I'll just think about the vicious game of butt tag we played in improv last week. Yes. Butt tag. Lest us not forget this is the year I make myself happy. Trust me. Butt tag will get you laughing, even on the most depressing day of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny!
And no, you should NOT measure your self worth by the lining in your pants!