1.28.2008

Your guess is as good as mine

So, here's one for you; the other afternoon I looked out my window and saw a smattering of white and grey "stuff" in my backyard. From a distance, it looked like someone had themselves a campfire and left the ashen remnants of the logs. I wouldn't put it past Nutty to host a soiree for his friends, peanut babies roasting on an open fire.

When I finally got around to inspecting the "stuff," I discovered it was feathers. A boatload of feathers. It seems as though the urban wildlife refuge that is my backyard has had yet another casualty.

Note to self: If I ever put this house on the market, remember that "urban wildlife refuge" is NOT a selling point to be included in the description.

But here's the thing? I can't figure out how these feathers got there. Granted they are under a tree, but there are only feathers, no bird parts (unlike what I found after the raccoons started to rule the 'hood). And these feathers look like pigeon feathers... do pigeons hang out in trees? I thought they stuck to gutters and bus stop trash bins?

So I'm thinking that either there is one stressed out pigeon in the tree that molted itself naked, or maybe the bird exploded. I'm serious.

No comments: