1.17.2008

That's notchyo cheese!

I may have made a professional enemy today, only, I think I managed to leave without my new enemy knowing who I am (I just have two holes branded into my forehead by the flaming red laser beams that shot out of his eyes.)

Note to self: Never, ever, ever, ever send a group of 20 people to eat at a buffet line if you are not 100% sure it is food that rightfully belongs to you.

I was hosting a meeting today for a group of people with one of our General Managers. When I showed up to the room, there was no food. This was especially unfortunate because I had sent out a message earlier to the attendees that we were providing lunch. Oh, but have no fear, the conference room across the hall had food outside of it--and oddly enough it was EXACTLY THE SAME THING we had ordered. I mean how many people order make your own taco bars and a fancy salad option. Taco bar, okay. Fancy salad, okay. But the two together. WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

Because this was a "leadership" lunch, I made the "leaderful" decision that catering must have gotten the room wrong and that had to be our lunch across the hall, "So everyone, get up and go grab some food, ole!"

Turns out, the odds are really good that people order the make your own taco bar and a fancy salad option together. One of the men in the meeting bolted outside of the room frantic that we were stealing his food. And to me, it seemed so logical that it was not their food, but ours just placed at the wrong room. Probably the best thing to do would have been to ask first instead of sending the cattle stampede to the trough. Oops.

So I sent my crew back to the room so they could start their meeting and I went to--have a meltdown in the kitchenette--troubleshoot. Turns out, it wasn't our food. Damn. And we didn't have any food ordered for today--but had we been in that room a week ago at the same time, our make our own taco bar and fancy salad option would have been waiting there for us, just begging us to eat it. Double damn.

After another stop in the kitchenette for--another meltdown--more troubleshooting. I made my way down to the cafeteria and begged for help. Fortunately some amazing souls took pity on me and pulled 4 pizzas fresh out of the oven. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Chef Ed!

Triumphant, I made my way back up to the meeting with pizza in hand--of course I detoured a little bit so I wouldn't have to be seen by "laser beams for eyes" walking down the hall with my tail between my legs and a lesser lunch.

No comments: