1.02.2008

How many is too many?

In our society of more is more, and want, want, want, gimme, gimme, gimme, how many guys should a girl date at once? I'll tell you something, this girl should NOT date more than one because she turns into a total headcase and can't keep things straight.

I've really dug myself into a hole this week, I think, but maybe not (ah, see the glimpse into my headcaseyness?). So let me catch you up to speed on my dating attention deficit disorder (DADD):

Leading the pack we have the J_____. We've been out five times and have a strong connection. There are a few things that make him, well, a unique player in this game. Those things could maybe be marks against him in a case for long-term dating status (don't worry, they aren't bad things per se, just things I would need to think long and hard about), but we're only five dates in, I think it's too early to make that call, I don't want to think long and hard, I just want to enjoy getting to know a great guy. I'd still like to get to know him better because I like him, I really do.

Enter my thoughts on how online dating has given me DADD and may very well be the downfall of any possibility of playing the field. For those of you unfamiliar with this dating platform, it gives you (and any potential suitors) the ability to virtually stalk each other. Not necessarily stalking in the bad creepy sense, but in the sense of back in the "olden days," er, um high school before caller ID and *69, when you could call your boyfriend's house to see if he's home and hang up when he answers because it just confirmed that he is sitting at home and he's not calling you? What the? I mean, whatever can he be doing that's so important that he's not calling you? Oooh, was that creepy and bad?

At any rate, the site I use tells me who's been looking at me and provides a status report on their activity (i.e., this guy is online this very second, oooh, and he's looking at you right now. Hurry! Duck! Maybe he didn't see you looking back at him... damn, busted.) In the case of the J______, we're both still online and still active in our accounts. However, we aren't looking at each other. Clearly, we're both keeping our options open. Which is totally fine this early in the game, however, it is blatantly there, in boldface red print on the screen: YEP, THIS PERSON IS STILL SHOPPING AROUND. Again, totally fine, but I think the fact that it's there really forces the DTR (define the relationship) talk way too prematurely. It doesn't leave any room for wondering if you're competing. It just kicks you in the shin and says, "Duh." And then it makes you think, "Oh, yeah, well, I can shop around too. In fact I can shop around better than you!"

And then, then you end up scheduling back-to-back-to-back dates with three different guys.

Note to self: Play this cool. There is no need to divulge any of your shopping lists. You are doing nothing wrong unless you freak out and blow your cool. And you already know that's a very very distinct possibility.

So tomorrow night starts the new dating rampage. I'll disclose more details as they all play out. But just know that I was tentatively holding Friday open for the J______, but ended up rescheduling my Saturday lunch with Quick Draw for the Friday night slot. Oh, and to make matters worse Quick Draw's real name is the same as potential boy #4. I'm going to keep an open mind--as best I can--and work on enjoying getting to know great guys, but I would sure love me some magic elixir to cure the DADD.

Until I find some of that, buckle up... here come some posts dedicated to my dating drama and dilemmas.

3 comments:

The Dater said...

Sister, I feel your pain. I'm just choosing not to acknowledge it (well except for when I manage the ultimate dating faux pas b/c I can't keep 'em straight). Good luck, can't wait to hear all about them!

Anonymous said...

hey there K - just can't NOT make a comment here.... to give another perspective on the he's-not-checking-out-my-profile-anymore-so-he-must-be-checking-out-others... you are assuming he's checking out others (which is fine because you are), but maybe he's not checking yours out, NOT because he isn't interested, but perhaps because he gets to see you in person and already knows what your profile says - nothing new there right? Remember that guys are a bit more straight forward than we are. When you ask how a guy is and he says, "Fine." usually that's just what he means, not code for anything, like, "Fine, but since you asked I'm hungry and I'm wondering where the relationship is going...". They just don't go there... at least not any guys I know.

So give your headcase-ness a breather and continue to just enjoy the flavor of the moment, which ever you happen to be having at the time.

Of course, I'm still single too, so what do I know?? ;-) Good luck and have fun!

little ms. notetaker said...

Thank you, solidarity sister! You are right, and after that evening I had a very interesting conversation with the J_____, that essentially discussed the perspective you offered.

I definitely need to keep in mind the simpleness of guys.

Thanks for your comment and your always sage advice, and here's to us strong, amazing, and beautiful single gals!