10.17.2007

The reason cell phone usage should be banned on airplanes...

On a recent train ride with a friend, we sat quietly talking whilst one of the other passengers was on her cell phone with a loved one. There was a predictable, yet charmingly funny, moment when the woman was trying to relay information to the person on the other line as we entered a tunnel. Her traveling companion aptly pointed out that we were heading for the tunnel, but the phone talker just kept on talking as if she were immune from the "driving-through-the-tunnel-dropped-call." Sitting there as we passed through the darkness, we could hear her repeatedly calling out the other person's name, obviously not getting a response.

While this scene was endearing--I failed to mention that the woman on the phone was cute and grandmotherly--I am emphatically against using cell phones in public transportation vehicles. As a frequent bus rider, nothing makes my blood boil quicker than an obnoxious person on their cell phone. My friend on the train pointed out something she read that stated the reason people get so annoyed with public cell phone conversations is not because the person's talking is annoying--let's face it, it's often not any louder than a typical conversation between two people--but because it is only a one-way conversation and all of us eavesdroppers (you know you are one of them too) can't stand the fact that we can't hear the complete conversation.

So, I agree with that to a point; I mean, it does provide some juicy gossip, usually about complete strangers. But I had an experience today on a shuttle between buildings at work that was simply annoying based upon the one side of the conversation I could hear... and I don't know that I would have wanted to hear the other half.

Direct quote (and I am NOT even embellishing this for a moment. In fact, I even pulled my notebook out of my bag just to accurately capture this gem): "Well, I'm taking him to the doctor this afternoon. I have to... for his toe. I think we've managed to get the pusiness under control, but I cannot even imagine that the toenail will grow in the way it should without a serious intervention."

Um, yeah. Did that just make you throw up a little in your mouth, too? Pusiness is not even a word, yet it conjures up the most horrible images. That is juicy gossip of the worst variety. No eavesdropper wants to hear that.

Note to self, or in this case others: Take care of his toe. Please. For the love of all mankind and your co-workers on the shuttle. And also, please don't make me vomit anymore.

1 comment:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Maybe it wouldn't have bothered you half as much if she'd used the correct terminology: Pussage.

Lesson learned: use correct wordage and grammar when using cell phones on public transportation. Problem solved.