5.09.2009

Little Ms. Notetaker and the Case of the Mysterious Key

Where are the Singing Detectives when you need them?

I remember reading Nancy Drew mysteries in elementary school and thinking, "Gee whiz [come on, it was elementary school and all], that Nancy Drew is sooooooo cool!" Driving around in her blue convertible with her friends Bess and George, always eating crisp garden salads, not to mention the solving mysteries part. I wanted to be her so badly.

My favorite story was always The Hidden Staircase. To this day, I can remember the old 1960s cover that graced the copy from our elementary school. And how it started out with her running in from outside to answer the ringing phone, peeling off her gardening gloves. I think a couple of pages later she was off in her convertible after lunching on a crisp garden salad. Sigh. When I peel off my gardening gloves, none of that happens, I usually stuff my face full of whatever I find in my cupboard and then go take a nap.

I've always nurtured a little bit of Nancy inside of me, and she sparked to life this afternoon. I've been desperately searching for the iPod I use for running and can't seem to find it anywhere. Sitting in my car, which is not a blue convertible, I thought maybe I had shoved it in my glove box at some point. It's not in there, but what is in there is a key to a Volvo.

I have no idea how that key got there, or from whence it came. My family used to have Dee, the most fabulous 1980s Volvo station wagon ever, but we sold her off well before I got my current car, plus this is a key to a newer Volvo. I have one set of friends that drive a Volvo and I'm checking if it's theirs, but they haven't been in my car for over a year.

Really. How did this key get in my car? Do you think the Volvo is blue and a convertible? How am I ever going to solve this caper--I think I'll go eat a crisp garden salad and see where that gets me.

No comments: