5.13.2008

This post brought to you by the letters O, C, and D

Here's something for the therapist, to celebrate my 100th post, I added sitemeter to my blog.

Bad call.

I shouldn't have done this because I've now become obsessed with seeing how many page views and visits I have--and I have been checking this at an alarming rate, but I don't know if I can let go of it now. BS (before sitemeter), I was blissfully ignorant to my visitors; however, I will admit that I would check my complete profile views rather frequently. Which just makes me laugh because half of my views are most definitely me, checking my own self out. I'm so vain.

And really, when it comes down to it, I am. I am vain and obsessed. Sometimes I love what I write so much, I'll go back to it multiple times and reread it just to make myself laugh--I feel a little vulnerable having admitted that to the Internet, but it's true.

But for all of the OCD tendencies sitemeter's brought to my surface, it has done a wonderful thing. You see, it's so much more than a visit counter. For those that don't have a blog, or sitemeter, that crazy new-fangled technology will tell me how visitors are "referred" to my site. And my biggest fascination is now with people who have found my notes via search. And, dear friends, people on the world wide web search for the darnedest things.

Below is my veritable list of "greatest hits" based upon the most popular searches that yield my ramblings:

1. "Bite+Taste+Buds" Apparently Web MD does not have the answer to this, but Little Ms. Notetaker does. If you find yourself here because you are wondering if you can bite those little nubs off your tongue and live to tell about it, the answer is yes. It won't do significant long term damage. A couple things you should know (I've taken the liberty to consolidate information for you, because if you typed those words into your search engine, besides my posts, you'd find an assortment of random Internet wisdom), you aren't really biting off taste buds, just part of the tongue (rest assured you won't lose the ability to taste things), and if you have one of those painful puffy "buds" on the tip of your tongue you can bite that off (and this I know from experience), just know that it will bleed. Maybe profusely.

2. Some variation of "Tom+Shane+Hip" or "Tom+Shane+In+Your+Grill." Yes, indeed, Tom Shane is hip. But know this much is true, neither Tom Shane, nor his associates will be all up in your grill, yo.

3. "Vera+Wang+20M11" This bridesmaid dress is popular. Real popular. Around the world popular. To all of you who are here because you were searching for this dress, I applaud your impeccable style.

4. And my personal favorite in the category of "Best Search Question" goes to a visitor from Canada who queried "what's in a lobster meal?" Ah, what's in a name? Would not a giant toddler lobster taste as sweet? Sadly, that visitor found out that I could not answer her questions, but I could strongly advise her to NOT eat corn on the cob candy. Words to live by.

3 comments:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Oh dear... sometimes I dream sitemeter. It's sad. My obsession has died down significantly since I first got it, but it is awfully distracting. My favorite is also the "referrals" feature. By far my "biggest hit" is from people Googling "skinny legs" or something similar. *sigh* My claim to fame. Great.

P.S. You're hilarious and I love you. I reread your posts often too.

pit girl said...

Alright, alright. I confess: I am an avid reader of your blog (but I guess you already know that now that you have a shwanky sitemeter thingy). However, this is my first comment because I'm too impatient to remember my password. Celebrating 100 postings is worthy of my attention! Way to go, notetaker!

To keep things orderly, below is what I actually wrote first, before I inserted the above weak explanation of no-commenting.

You mean you can see how many people are reading your blog & WHY??? The idea makes my eyes pop out of my head. I want to start a blog just so I can have a sitemeter.

Your blog is the best; I love it. It's so honest. You are an amazing writer in the first place, and your blog writing has gotten better & better! You kick ass. This I know from personal experience. ;)

love you in the first place,
love your blog,
love you more post-blog.
-smbf

little ms. notetaker said...

Oh, Shawny! I love you more than mashed potatoes!

You are the very best--and I can't tell when it's you, but thanks for the comment and the support in everything.

Much love to you!