10.23.2008

Did it freeze over?

Note to self: Humility is driving your parents around the city in a pearlescent PT Cruiser.

Never did I think the day would arrive when I was seated in the driver's seat of a PT Cruiser. But my friends, that day has arrived and it was today.

My parents are in town for the opening weekend of Into the Woods, and the vehicle they got from Thrifty rentals is a PT Cruiser. I know I may offend some PT Cruiser lovers out there--I shudder at the thought that they actually exist--but that is one embarrassing car. I have severe physical reactions to them, and swore that it would be a cold day in hell before I ever drove one. Apparently my convictions aren't as strong as they once were, or all of these late night rehearsals have worn down my defenses to drive, or be seen in, ridiculous automobiles.

Maybe it's the former, because when I was in Denver for my dad's surprise party, I was forced into an HHR. Almost as bad as a PT Cruiser, but not quite. There's something about the cruiser that is just off. Maybe it's the fact that whenever I see one, I think it should have a yellow Z with flames painted on the side, and then I look for ZZ Top to appear on the side of the road and do that shwoopy snap thing when it drives by--let this site load and watch the opening flash for 10 seconds, you'll see what I mean and you'll never be the same again.

1 comment:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

I think maybe they don't seem so bad if you have a long gray beard. But I think if you had a long gray beard, you'd have bigger problems than driving around a PT Cruiser.

My father-in-law had one for a few years because he's a surfer and thought his surfboard looked cool strapped on top. :)