8.31.2008

It's decidedly Autumn

Even though it's still August for a few more hours, Fall has definitely set in here in the Pacific Northwest. Leaves are falling, the air is crisp, football has started, and pumpkin ales are already being served (August is too early for that last one...). And although I am somewhat loathe to bid farewell to Summer--all five weeks of it that we had--I'm actually really eager to welcome in the new season.

Fall has always been my favorite. Partly because my birthday falls in it, and partly (read: mostly) because it meant the start of school. I admit it; I'm a totally nerd and I always loved going back to school. The start of a new year, sigh. True, anytime I had to make a change, say for instance from elementary school to junior high, I would make myself physically sick stressing out about the change and the worry of what if I didn't succeed that year (that's the makings of a different post and/or a session with the therapist), but give it a week and all was settled and well.

I was reading
Jessica's post the other day remembering the start of college and tripped down memory lane. After reading it, I found it hard to believe that we didn't go to the same university; the likeness between some of her memories and mine are uncanny (even down to the hopeless crush on the artsy English major, sigh). Starting college and that new phase in life is firmly rooted in the Fall and I feel all warm and rosy inside thinking of it all.

Although my school days have passed, I still get excited when it's time to flip the calendar to September. Funny how in literature Fall often represents aging and approaching the "winters of our lives." I seem to have so many happy memories of new beginnings in Fall.

Interestingly enough, almost all of the romantic relationships of consequence (and even those inconsequential high school boyfriends) have all started in Autumn. When I think about it, I've only had one real Valentine in my life, so if I'm single in February it's no big deal. But single in the Fall always throws me for a loop. And, well, as we usher in September tomorrow, I am thinking no loops will be thrown my way. I have a new friend.

I've decided that the best thing about new friends, on top of the butterflies and permanent grin, is that they make you realize your old friend really was not right for you. I mean your friends told you that over and over, and you even thought it was probably true, but no matter how much your friends said it, or how much you convinced yourself, it takes a new friend to really ground that. Thank you, New Friend.

So, goodbye to summer and hello to sweater weather, crunchy dried leaves, and the opportunity for new beginnings and new friends.