2.10.2008

Half-life

Half-finished projects rule my life right now. It's driving me half-crazy and it actually makes me feel fully ashamed. In an effort to throw that shame out on the table and have the internet hold me accountable to change my procrastinating ways, I offer you a top ten list of the things around the house that I've started, but just can't seem to muster up the motivation to finish:

10. GoodWill donating--I purged my closet over the summer and have an incredibly large donation pile. In fact I have all the clothes folded and organized and the shoes all in a row. I just haven't ever made the move to get them out of the house.

9. Commissioning my own art--For several months, I've been in the middle of a few "art" projects for my living and dining rooms. I'm painting some pictures for the walls--check that, I was painting some pictures for the walls. Now they are just random canvases collecting dust.

8. My major meltdown shelving--Remember this? Well, I figured out that if I put shims in behind the shelves they would hang straight and not be loose on the wall. I was so proud of myself for figuring this out... two months ago. Ever since then the full-length shims stuck out below the shelves. I got used to the look, which didn't force me to do a shim trim. Actually, last weekend I went berserk and trimmed the shims--oh the shelves look so nice. The only problem is, I still have two more shelves waiting to be hung.

7. Getting a grown-up bedroom--I have the furniture picked out, and even have gift cards from Christmas burning a hole in my pocket. Apparently, they aren't burning enough to complete the order. Well, and I need to get a new mattress, so that's been my excuse too--picking out a mattress is tough for a commitmentphobe.

6. Siding replacement--This one is bad. I've actually had this project on my to-do list since I moved in. I need to rip off some of the siding on the side and back of my house and replace it. I have the replacement boards cut and primed, just haven't gotten to the ripping and replacing. This was a project the marinara jar and I were supposed to do one Saturday in May, but instead of checking this project off the list, we broke up.

5. Let there be lights--I have six light fixtures I need to replace. I have two of the new fixtures purchased and in my basement. They'll probably stay down there in their boxes for a few more months.

4. Windows into my soul--I had my windows replaced this summer, which included installing new, un-primed un-painted stops. I need to prime and paint them.

3. Appropriately covering those windows into my soul--When the windows were replaced, it was summer and I have three big maple trees outside my bedroom window that offered privacy from the neighbors across the street. Alas, the leaves fell and for a really long time I still didn't have coverings up. At least now I have a few curtains sticky tacked up there so I'm not as self-conscious. However, I spent my New Year's Eve (no pity needed) measuring the windows for new blinds. Have the measurements, have the blinds, have not placed the order.

2. Installing the blinds--granted I don't even have the blinds ordered yet, but I know that when they do arrive, they will sit in their little boxes for a while until I finally install them. Let's just say I'm going on an educated hunch that my MO will not change drastically between now and then...

1. Of course... the kitchen. I haven't physically started on this project, but mentally I started it when I put the offer on this place almost two years ago. My greatest fear is that I will actually start on this project and my pattern of petering out midway will cause this to be the worst half-finished project ever. I think sub-consciously I think if I never start the project, then I'll never be half-finished so I can save myself much internal beating up. However, if I never start it then I'll never fully finish it, and will continue beating myself internally for not doing it. Oh, woe is me.

So there you have it. And I know I can ask for help on some of these things and I will, but that's not the point of me making this list. The point is to find the motivation to get going again, and hopefully I find that soon; it has to be hiding around here somewhere.

No comments: