11.11.2007

What a girl really wants...

Who knew that my ramblings on my chronic first dating syndrome would get me thinking so much?

Note to self: Realationships are about interdependence, not independence times two.

While I can appreciate the argument that guys want to feel that they are providing for, or able to take care of, their partner--yes, I understand that is a primordial need--I find it really hard to let go of my independent ways. And in an effort to try and shed my "I can do it all" attitude, I came up with a list, albeit short, of the things where I'd LOVE to have someone to take care of me. So here it is. In case you wanted to know how I could be taken care of:

  • Edging--Gardening I enjoy. Weeding, I can even handle. But edging, oh how I loathe it. And my yard looks fantastic when it is edged (even when I edge it so short, the grass is burned... oops). But just think of the amazing yard I could have with someone who knows what they are doing.
  • Grill master--Love me a good BBQ, but this girl is anything but competent when it comes to charcoal and lighter fluid. I really hate to play the "stereotypical girl card," but when it comes to grilling, it's the only card in my hand.
  • Removing the squirrel tail from my yard--if I ignore it, will it go away? Or if I asked the next guy in my life to get rid of it, would he make it go away? Or worse, would that make him go away?

So, as I think about who I am in a relationship, I am giving the comments you made thought. I know I need to look for ways we (and when I say "we," I mean me and hypothetical future guy) can take care of each other... beyond my yard, my grill, and my poor poor Nutty.

2 comments:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

LOL! There is no shame in needing a guy to do the dirty work. Once when Gary was out of town, a bird flew into my closed glass door and committed suicide. I did not hesitate to run across the street to ask my guy neighbor to clean it up.

mike helminger said...

come on holmes, toughen up. :)