9.03.2009

I reed gud.

I haven't forgotten. I've been reading. Granted I haven't been providing my book reports like I said I would, and I don't know if I'm going to hit my 10 book goal in the next three weeks, but I have read five books already this summer. This is huge considering I don't think before "Little Ms. Notetaker's Extreme Book-it Reading Challenge for Grown-Ups" I had completed a single book in the previous year.

And in lieu of the book reports I promised, I'll give you the cliff notes, or really a sentence, about each book I've read thus far:

1. Water, Stone, Heart--Will North
This book made me want to quit everything I'm doing and move to a small town in England (I'd actually prefer Ireland, as you all know), and make walls and stuff.

2. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven--Fannie Flagg
I love Fannie Flagg, mainly because I love southern literature, mainly because my favorite professor in college specialized in Literature of the American South. I recommend this one, especially if you've read some of Flagg's more recent works as it builds off of them in a very genuine, touching, and humorous way.

3. The Secret Life of Bees--Sue Monk Kidd
Another piece of Southern lit. Very poignant, very descriptive, very good.

4. The Color of Water--James McBride

A good non-fiction memoir of a black son and his white mother. Very cool approach to the memoir and a biography.

5. The Time Traveler's Wife--Audrey Niffenegger
This one came highly recommended from Coach A, and I agree; it was a great story of true, unconditional love, and you have to be kind of smart to keep up with the twists and turns (either that or avoid reading it when you're half asleep in bed).

Because there are a few weeks left until the official start of fall, I'm hoping to get one or two more in, and I'm going to call that good.

And hey, Internets, how's your own extreme book-it challenge going?

4 comments:

CrissPiss said...

I read one book and am half way thru another. That is a lot for me since the only time I can read now is when I go to bed. I make it thru a few pages. you should read The Infadel. It is a true story and tells you the real feelings of the Mid East. she is an amazing woman. Kind of like me.

Anonymous said...

FCA's Report
I also will be challenged to get to 10. But that doesn't mean the list isn't sitting here on my desk reminding me everyday!

1a. I read countless books this summer on travel in Paris, Normandy, and London - but I don't suppose these truly count for novel-like reading. But I would appreciate credit since it was reading that took away from my booklist. :)

1b. Outliers by Malcom Gladwell: How could I not read this during a LMNT Reading Challenge since you clearly have obsessions only freaks can appreciate it. It's a good, quick read and helps me realize some of my inadequacies (okay, most of them!) arn't my fault but are due to when I was born.

2. Run by Ann Patchett - Interesting and caused me to pause and think a few times, but the characters weren't developed enough for me to truly care about them, except for the one that died. Huh...maybe that was the point!

3. Made for Heaven: And Why on Earth it Matters by C.S. Lewis - quick read of thoughts from the great C.S. I anticipated it giving me great insights, but that didn't happen.

4. Tribes by Seth Godin - A good work read about leadership, but written in a bit of an elementary way IMHO. Sometimes reading the obvious is a good reminder though.

5. The Shack by William Young - I'm half-way through this and the first part was REALLY intriguing but then it got super religion heavy and I was having a hard time following all of it. THEN... the book of the summer that I've been patiently waiting for arrived and since it is a new release I only have 14 days to read it, so I've set The Shack aside and am reading...

6. South of Broad by Pat Conroy - One of my fav authors of all time (Prince of Tides and Beach Music - which is my personal favorite). I'm about 1/3 through it and am loving every page turn!

I still have a few on my list so I'll keep plugging along. Perhaps the book challenge can be extended through Christmas to keep our reading motiviation going?

And FCK - you MUST read The Glass Castle. I loved it. loved the characters. loved everything about it.

crystal said...

I have "Cant Wait to get to Heaven" on my bookshelf, just have been hesitant to read it because I am afraid it won't be able to live up to "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe." I am happy to see a positive review of it though, may have to dust it off and read it :) I loved both the "Time Traveler's Wife" and "The Secret Life of Bees", both very touching and beautifully written!

little ms. notetaker said...

@crystal: Can't Wait is really really good. It's been about 15 or 16 years since I read Fried Green Tomatoes, so I can't compare it, but before reading Can't Wait, I'd recommend Welcome to the World, Baby Girl, and Standing in the Rainbow. It's not really a trilogy, but they're all related so it will provide good context.