9.22.2009

Thirty 2 good 2 be true

Internets, I am here to report that I have one hour of my birthday left, and I have yet to receive a bacon bed. But this is a good thing because I didn't really want a bacon bed.

Here is what I did get:
  • Beatles Rockband--I did want this and asked for it specifically, big w00t to Mr. McMichael
  • New pillows--yay! I really needed this and mentioned that I needed them and now I don't have to go out and get them myself (if you weren't able to tell, love me the practical gift, so these are perfect and make me very happy). Mr. McMichael shoots, he scores.
  • Flowers--a couple of beautiful bouquets, thanks Mom and Coach A.
  • 6,452,918 birthday wishes on Facebook--okay, I exaggerate.
  • A dozen mini donuts--dear Lord, I did not ask for these, but seemed to have no problem whatsoever putting away six of them. Yes, six.
  • Multiple chocolate cupcakes

And I'm getting myself a few things too:

  • New perfume
  • Cashmere cardigan from J. Crew
  • Courage

Courage? That's actually my favorite of all the gifts. I'm giving myself the courage and permission to being genuinely open to loving someone else. Openly admitting that to myself and to that person is huge for me, let's just say that being vulnerable is not something at which I excel. And in unwrapping this gift, I've realized that being open to loving someone else is not a one-sided thing, it actually means I need to be open to the possibility of someone loving me back. This is a great thing, but it is new territory--it's a whole new reality for me. And I'm terrified and ecstatic and cynical and gushy all at the same time.

More thoughts on this later, right now, my perfect pillows are calling my name, so I am off to sleep on my not bacon bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my baby....she's all growed up. sniff sniff

Anonymous said...

*goosebumps*
aw. Happy Birthday from you to you. it's the gift that keeps giving!! xo-AP