9.27.2009

The perfectly good reason why we were all going to second base in public

To celebrate my birthday, I had a small number of phenomenal women over to my place for a potluck brunch for the bold and the beautiful. It was absolutely fabulous--a smattering of friends from various activities and points in my life, all coming together in a giant melting pot of magnificence. I knew I had the recipe just right when a small group of them who had just been introduced got into a very serious and detailed conversation in my kitchen about bras whilst I flipped pancakes. Ah, girlfriends. I must admit, even though I'm very liberal about collecting friends on Facebook, I'm extremely choosy about the women that I'd genuinely consider my tribe, and damn if I haven't chosen well.

After we'd sufficiently gorged ourselves, a smaller group of us brunchers headed to a local sports bar to catch some of the day's football games. Ah, girlfriends. We strolled in, skirts and all, and claimed a table giving us access to the wall o' big screen TVs. There we sat, chatting, cheering, cocktailing, and eventually having another conversation about bras. And, if the men around us weren't completely entranced by one of the 37 games flickering away, then I'm sure they were a little caught off guard when each of us at different points grabbed our own boobs and started talking about cup sizes. We were in our own little world, resurfacing every now and then to cheer and yell at the TVs. All I can say to explain it all is: ah, girlfriends.

Thank goodness for them.

2 comments:

AP said...

aaaah boobs. the great unifier. :) it was such a great day. thanks for being born and for having a great "worlds colliding" way of celebrating your day! i feel like i have new friends... or at least i will if i can figure out a day to reliably get across the bridge to give knitting lessons. :)

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Love your title. Wish I could've been there. I'm sure I would've been invited if you thought it at all possible, right? I mean, you'll invite me to your party if I invite you to mine, right? RIGHT?