12.08.2008

Should have had some Velveeta dip at the ready

Oh, dear, sweet, Internets. I am coming to you, arms open, ready to admit that I may have a problem. I am addicted to RockBand. Where once I had the musical, the kitchen, improv, or even friends, now I have a video game. And that may sound pathetic, and this may be me justifying my behavior, but it's really fun!

But worry not, Internet. I will not dedicate a whole post to the glory that is my fake plastic Fender Stratocaster (one that I'm half tempted to name Lucille), because I owe you more than that. However, honestly, the only notes running through my head are those of guitar solos (in green, red, yellow, blue, and orange).

But seriously, no more talk of RockBand. I do have a little bit of life left outside of my Xbox.

Today, my kitchen and a tiny little blurb about winning the True Value contest were featured on the front page of the Life & Arts section of one of Seattle's primary newspapers. I still can't believe that I won that contest, but I know that I have to believe it because today, I also met Steve Watson from HGTV's "Don't Sweat It," and was casually awarded the cash prize. We visited for a couple hours in which we talked about home improvement projects, extreme home improvement projects (that was mostly him talking), the economy and housing market, the disco couch in my makeshift TV room and how that disco couch goes well with Lucille, and how I'm addicted to a certain-game-that-will-not-be-named, and how Steve is also hooked on that game and how he has built a room with a stage and a pull down screen so that when he and his friends are playing, they can stand on the stage, face the screen, and at the same time be facing the fans, er, friends, watching them from the floor, so it looks like they are actually performing in concert. I'm telling you, people, this game-that-shall-not-be-talked-about will make you do crazy things. Like spend $5000 at True Value to trick out your game room, er, guest room. But I haven't gone that far... yet.

Actually, we talked through what I could do to create a master bathroom and I have to admit, it seems a lot more feasible and you might start hearing me talk about tackling a new project--and the more you hear me talk about a new project, the less you'll hear me talking about a little something that starts with an X and ends with an x and is NOT Xerox.

It wasn't until after my guests left this afternoon that I realized I was not really much of a gracious host. I offered them drinks, but didn't have any food for them. Not that it was expected, but it would have been nice and very DomestiKat-ish of me. And then I thought, if only I had been raised in the South, I probably would have thought of that ahead of time. But a southern belle I am not. My roots are more Midwestern than anything.

Note to self: Next time you have an HGTV host in your house, have snacks. Do right by your family. At a minimum: little smokies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always have the staples, Rotel, Beanless chili and a big hunk of Veleeta, the other cheese. Live and learn!