12.12.2008

I get a do-over

So, here's the deal. When the HGTV folks set up my prize consultation, they mentioned to a local True Value (not necessarily MY local True Value) that Steve Watson would be coming to town and that he and I may stop by and purchase some items for my project.

That had me all freaked out at the time, because I thought I may have to spend all of my prize money in one fell swoop--and if I were to use the money on my yard, the plant selection in December is not so great. Fortunately my aunt let me know that her True Value in Wisconsin sells beef jerky. So if push came to shove I could just buy $5000 worth of jerky and never have to go to the supermarket again. Hello, Scurvy!

But when Steve was in town last week, we just sat at my house talking projects. No visit to True Value, no purchasing anything with the prize money, and certainly no jerky. I don't think the people at True Value were particularly pleased with that--apparently they want me to have my jerky, and they believe it to be a photo-op.

So, Steve's coming back to Seattle on Monday. And we're going to meet at the True Value (again, not MY local True Value), where I will have to spend all of the money. Not all at one time, but I sadly can't go to MY local True Value, the one with all of the amazing plants for my yard. I'm trying to temper my disappointment around that with the fact that they are giving me $5000 dollars. I can suck it up and drive down there, although I already know they won't have the great plant selection of MY local True Value. I guess this means either I will have to do that bathroom project and get all of my stuff from there. Or, I'm going to have a heckuvalotta jerky on my hands.

4 comments:

Kurt and Michele said...

surely you can do some exchanges if you wanna?

slightly stale jerky for spring wisteria?

Anonymous said...

the dark side of tvland...

i like the idea of exhanging the stuff.

Anonymous said...

I've written the rules for sweepstakes like these, and if you were required to spend all of the money during one trip, at a specific store location or during your consultations- that would have to be written in the rules.

A lot of time a marketing or PR person might make it sound like you have to do something for their PR, but unless your prize is continjent on your participation (per the rules) you can do whatever you want.

Don't feel like you are being ungrateful, or you owe them becaause they are giving you money. They wrote the rules, they had the contest. You just did a kick ass remodeling job.

It is perfectly ok to tell them that you are fine looking at items with Steve, or maybe buying a few items for future projects, but don't spend it in a anyway you don't want to- it's your right.

little ms. notetaker said...

Love me my PR friends! Thanks for that clarification.

Also love me some wisteria--more than jerky, shocking, I know.

I'll definitely head in there all the wiser tomorrow. Thanks, friends!