5.01.2011

A second helping of cheese

Note to self: Be ye not tempted to shop for music under the influence.

Apparently this is a lesson bound to be repeated. Back when I was a senior in college my parents and I were at some pre-graduation wine and cheese reception (emphasis on the wine) and somehow, post-event, we ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond. Tipsy.

Left to our own devices, we waddled our way to a CD kiosk of "The Sounds of Nature." You know, the one where you push on the small thumbnail of the CD cover art and it plays samples off of that CD. Ooooh. We were transfixed and listened to every sample. Twice. Maybe three times. Before my dad could find us and save us from ourselves, we had bought at least 4 CDs (one of which was Loon Song, and it was just as it sounds, loons set to song. In a word: AWESOME). And we knew while it was happening that it was a bad idea, and by bad I mean AWESOME.

So there I was this week, post-happy hour with AP when we waddled across the street to the Half-Price Books where they also sell way-less-than-half-price cassette tapes. And guess who has  two thumbs and a cassette tape player in her car? That's right, this girl. And because I was two margaritas in, every tape I saw was a MUST HAVE (even though I had already bought most of them at full-price back in the 1980s when cassette tape technology was king). Honestly. Most of these tapes are already at my parents house, but a lot of good that does me when I want to listen to them in my car now. So, at $0.25 a pop (you read that correctly, one quarter each) I bought the following masterpieces:
  • Duran Duran, Arena (recorded around the world in 1984!)
  • Kenny Rogers, The Gambler (I don't know any songs on here but the title track, but it's gotta earn me some street cred to own a Kenny Rogers tape, right?)
  • Neil Diamond, 12 Greatest Hits Vol II (mostly because "America" is one of those 12 great hits)
  • Prince and the Revolution, Music From The Motion Picture Purple Rain (yes, somewhere doves are crying)
  • John Denver, Take Me Home, Country Roads & Other Hits (a collection of some of the first songs I ever fell in love with on cassette tape)
  • Amy Grant, Heart in Motion (Baby, baby, I LOVED this one when I bought it the first time in 1991)
  • Huey Lewis & the News, Fore! and Sports (yes, it is hip to be square, don't hate the playa...)
  • Bette Midler, Beaches (Thank you. Thank you. Thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings)
  • Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston (the one where she's amazing before Bobby Brown ruined her)
  • Michael Bolton, Time, Love & Tenderness (I know. There are no words, except maybe... AWESOME!)
  • Ace of Base, The Sign (which I never actually owned on cassette, but overplayed the CD my junior year in high school)
And the piece de resistance...
  • Tiffany, Tiffany (Oh, yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!).
Four dollars later (much cheaper than Loon Song), I was out of there and jamming in the Jetta. Turns out it was a good idea, nay, a great idea. Maybe purchasing music whilst intoxicated is actually an AWESOME idea. And in case you didn't know this already, I believe that children really are our future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Example #287 of why we love you!

Anonymous said...

oh my...

CrissPiss said...

I know, I know I still stop at those kiosks and listen. Brings back memories of BB&B. You need a new Jets. AWESOME