2.14.2010

Hey Fans!

Dear Internets,

I am a girl of many odd skills, as may be apparent to some of my long-time readers (are you still out there? Yeah, yeah, I know. Insert Catholic guilt here). But some of you might not know that one of my little-known skills is public address system operations. That's right, the voice you hear over a PA system just might be mine. And if you happen to be in the King County Aquatic Center right now, that voice IS mine.

I started my illustrious career in athletics event announcing back in graduate school. I had completed my time as a college volleyball player, and was back watching my former teammates play, when I realized the announcer was terrible. And I thought, "hey, I'm here at every game, and I know what's going on--and also what should and shouldn't be said during a match--why don't I see about an announcing gig." And a star was born.

I could also segue here into my stint as a college athletics mascot, but I won't because that's another story AND because in addition to being a highly skilled announcer, I'm also on a blog post race. You see, this weekend, I've picked up announcing again and am currently announcing a collegiate conference championship swimming meet. We're on the last day, and I made a little bet with the Commish that I could start and complete a blog post in the amount it takes these swimmers to swim their last event. So, in the amount of time it takes 6 student-athletes to swim a mile, I will provide you with a fun little post (hopefully I'll have time to spell check).

If you ever think, how does one prepare for PA work? Well, one thing I do is imagine I'm in an airport listening to the woman on the intercom calling for people to come to the white operating telephone, and I make my voice sound like her. Oh, and I also completely freak out about what I have to say and name pronunciations and the like, but I don't recommend that prep work at all.

It's the bell lap, and I'm proud to say I can type as fast as people can swim a mile, and for what it's worth, I think I'm just as tired.

LMNT Disclaimer: Just note, in my mile of typing I was unable to truly proofread this message. Maybe it would have helped if I had a coach and teammates standing next to me yelling "move... move... move" everytime I came up for air.

4 comments:

Yours Truly, Johnny Blogger said...

That is good to know as the UW is sometimes in need of good announcers... Good to know!
PS... I miss you.

Captcha word: Firactus: The delusion that you came in first in a race only to find out you were in second.

Anonymous said...

always the competitor, huh? did the swimmers know you were competing with them?

AP said...

If you are looking for PA inspiration, I always enjoy the lady at Nordstrom... "Jean Jones, 4-1". I'm not sure what those numbers mean, but they always sound soooo fancy.

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Are you still there? Announcing that swim meet? Where are you????