6.03.2008

All hail the mighty Cheeto

Oh, Cheeto, how I love thee? Let me count the ways,
You are orange and keep the scurvy at bay?

Maybe not so much, but I do love me some Cheetos. I indulged my inner-child at lunch today (don't worry, I also had an orange, too).

Winter has returned to Seattle, well at least non-summer weather has become an unwelcome visitor and it invited rain along with it. Dreary, rainy, and cold. Yuck. One plus about that weather is that it makes me yearn for comfort food--like soup. Today was the perfect soup day, and the soup du jour was split pea with ham. Split pea soup is one of my favorites and reminds me of being a kid, only we had Campbell's version, the kind that plops out of the can as a mushy form in the same shape of the can. The cafeteria serves Au Bon Pain soup, so I imagine it doesn't come out of a can with ridges molded into it.

At some point as a young kid, my mom made my brother and I split pea soup for lunch and somehow the Cheetos we had along with it that day ended up in the soup. Whether by accident or intent, Cheetos in split pea soup is fantastically yummy. And ever since that day, we'd always put Cheetos in the soup.

I was delightedly giddy with my cup of soup today as I headed back to the office, keeping my fingers crossed that the vending machine had crunchy, cheesy goodness. And it did! Au Bon Pain split pea and ham soup, classy. Me dumping Cheetos into my fancy soup, not-so-classy, but oh-so-wonderful.

Note to self: Simple indulgences can make the rainiest days sunshiney.

And no, Cheetos have no vitamin C in them, but they do have eight percent of your daily recommended intake of riboflavin! Riboflavin, people. Cheetos--putting the "flav" in riboflavin.

Thank you, Cheeto.

No comments: