2.03.2008

The good, the bad, and the fugly...

Finger update 2008:


I let out a huge sigh of relief when I visited the doctor Friday morning. Good news: they didn't have to re-break my finger. Bad news: casting it wouldn't do any good because there is too much scar tissue built up between the break and the original bone. The prognosis? Surgery.


I am completely bummed about that, but at least I'll get my finger fixed--and hopefully won't have too much arthritis in it later in life. Are you wondering what finger surgery will entail? I'm meeting with the surgeon tomorrow morning, so I'm not 100% certain, but my doctor said that it would either mean going in and removing the bone chip that's floating out in the finger sea or to go in and screw that chip back into place. Having a hard time picturing it? Well, lucky for you I've captured my x-rays and you can see what I'm talking about below:




Image 1: "Everything's going to be OK!" I love that I'm giving the a-okay sign to the x-ray. I'm all like, it's been two months, I'm tough. I'm okay!




Image 2: "Wha happened?!" Apparently everything is not okay. See that little rebel bone... yeah, he shouldn't wander off like that. Bad bone, bad.

So surgery isn't the worst of it. The fugly (and yes, I said fugly): my doctor was shocked that my bone broke like this. Apparently, it shouldn't have broke at all. She started asking me questions, which ultimately led to the fact that this could be the onset of early osteoporosis. WHAT?! How could that be, with the amount of milk I drank--up until recently--I think I actually exhaled calcium. So, I don't know if my bones are brittle (I'm 30 years old for crying out loud!), or if this is just an opportune warning that I need to start taking better care of myself, but I've learned yet another lesson. Note to self: Be sure you are getting 1200 mg of calcium and 800 mg of vitamin D, every single solitary day.

See, I told you lactose intolerance was the most horrible awful thing that's ever happened to me.

1 comment:

mike helminger said...

hmm, i have a hard time seeing the osteoporosis diagnosis, especially given your affinity towards running. impact and weight training makes your bones stronger and denser. and you holmes, are about as dense as they come