3.14.2008

Livin' on the edge

You know it's time for the week to end when your ridiculously-focused-on-hyper-productivity brain takes over during your commute. I hit an all-time multi-tasking low this afternoon, my friends.

Driving home from work I was more than impatient with the traffic, so I put myself to good use and paid some bills. And when I say pay bills, I'm not talking about busting out a smart phone and putting newfangled technology like the Internet to use. Nope. I'm talking about paying bills the old fashioned way, by hand writing cheques (it's so old fashioned I have to use old-timey spelling for the word).

Note to self: Join the 21st century and sign-up to pay your bills online.

I derive some strange satisfaction from writing checks, licking the envelopes, and sticking the bills in the mail. Kids, Little Ms. Notetaker does not endorse this sort of behavior whilst driving, but it was stop and go traffic, and I was really only writing the checks when I was stopped, or only a little bit going. And I have to admit, it was a complete adrenaline rush. The type of adrenaline rush I get when I'm--nerd alert--reading. Yes, reading. I don't get all charged up about knowledge (well, not always), but I have this thing I do when I'm reading (and I know I have a sympathetic audience on this one, at least one of you): I like to hold time trials on page racing. The bar I consistently use is one minute per page--if I do it faster, I'm a champion, but if I do it slower, then I mentally beat myself up about it. That's right, I make reading an Olympic sport. Just imagine the training I had to do in college as an English major. Reading Norton Anthologies with their bible thin pages and sub 8-point font really pushed me to the pinnacle of my reading career.

I made new Olympic sports today. While I was paying bills. And driving. One thing you may not know about me, and heck I didn't even know about myself until this afternoon, I'm quite adept at stamping an envelope while making a left hand turn. I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

No comments: